News & Events
Historic Recipients of California Preservation Foundation Design Award
The California Preservation Foundation (CPF) provides statewide leadership, advocacy and education to ensure the protection of California’s diverse cultural heritage and historic places. From documenting the storied sites of Route 66, to mapping LGBTQ heritage, CPF is the leading statewide advocacy organization fighting to protect California’s diverse heritage at the state legislature and in Washington. They recognize and share the state’s irreplaceable historic places. In 35 years, less than a thousand preservation projects have received a prestigious Preservation Design Award. Read below for a selection of our fellow winners.
Rehabilitation of Federal Building at 50 United Nations Plaza
The 2013 rehabilitation of the 80-year old Beaux Arts Federal Building at 50 United Nations Plaza in San Francisco’s Civic Center, incorporates complete systems upgrades, innovative workplace design and energy efficiency upgrades with sensitive historic preservation rehabilitation.
Echo Park Lake Rehabilitation Project
The rehabilitation of Echo Park Lake renewed this iconic landscape’s character through the careful repair and replacement of historic landscape features and also provided sustainable solutions for the long term management of the park’s landscape systems and hydrology.
A Sense of Place Design Guidelines for Yosemite National Park
A Sense of Place: Design Guidelines for Yosemite National Park provides a framework for determining the architectural and landscape character for new buildings, site work, and other alterations that a assures compatibility with the park’s historic properties and natural environment.
Wilshire Boulevard Temple
Wilshire Boulevard Temple, with an impressive domed sanctuary, suffered from deferred maintenance and historic material deterioration. In addition to the restoration effort was the development and seamless integration of infrastructure improvements.
Sea Scout Building
Built in “Streamline Moderne” style by Birge Clark, the Sea Scout Building with its porthole windows, navigation bridge, flag hoist and smokestacks was designed to resemble an actual ship. It was the home to the local Sea Scouts, an offshoot of the Boy Scouts that taught boys and girls aged 14-20 how to excel in water activities. On the weekend of May 30, 1941, Palo Alto’s “Fairy Godmother” and greatest benefactor, Lucie Stern — who had given $3,000 for the base’s construction — christened the building by smashing a bottle of Atlantic Ocean seawater on the deck rail.
Old Solano Courthouse
This building is over 100 years old! Its grand opening dedication, celebrated on July 4, 1914, was the biggest event Solano County had ever seen up until that point. Since a $30 million, multi-year renovation was complete in 2014, the building, officially named the Old Solano Courthouse, houses three civil courtrooms and offices.